February 17, 2017
DO 8, s. 2017
School Year 2016-2017 End of School Year Rites
To: Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
- For School Year (SY) 2016-2017, the Department of Education (DepEd) announces the conduct of the following End of School Year Rites:
|Grade/Level||Ceremony||Proof of Completion|
|Grade 6 learners who will complete Elementary education||Graduation||Elementary Certificate
(Enclosure No. 1)
|Grade 10 learners who will complete Junior High School||Moving Up or Completion||Junior High School Certificate
(Enclosure No. 2)
|Grade 12 learners from:
a. Schools with DepEd-approved K to 12 transition plan
b. Schools with permit to operate Senior High School 2014
c. International schools with K to 12 Program
|Graduation||High School Diploma
(Enclosure No. 3)
- The 2017 ceremonies shall focus on the theme Sabay-Sabay na Hakbang Tungo sa Maunlad na Kinabukasan. This theme highlights the importance of the concerted endeavor and collaborative efforts of the stakeholders and learners in achieving the shared vision of quality, accessible, relevant, and liberating basic education for all. It emphasizes the significance of unity in forging a better and progressive future for the Filipino youth.
- The graduation rites should be scheduled on or before April 7, 2017. For schools divisions or regions with an extended school year, schools will have to be guided by their approved revised school calendar.
- In line with the government’s austerity program, the Department of Education (DepEd) reiterates the following policies:
- Graduation rites should be simple but meaningful which encourage civil rights, a sense of community, and personal responsibility. While these rites mark a milestone in the life of the learners, these should be conducted without excessive spending, extravagant attire, or extraordinary venue;
- Moving Up or Closing Ceremonies should be simple involving only the learners, their parents and the school;
- Non-academic projects such as attendance to field trips, film showing, junior-senior promenade and other school events should not be imposed as requirements for graduation or completion;
Public Schools only
- Expenses relative to the activity should be charged to the school Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses under the 2017 Budget;
- Any DepEd personnel should not be allowed to collect any graduation/moving up/closing ceremony fees or any kind of contribution;
- Parent-Teachers Association (PTA) may give donations in cash or in kind; and
- Contribution for the annual yearbook, if any, should be on a voluntary basis.
- Further, the end of school year rites and moving up or closing ceremony should be conducted in an appropriate solemn ceremony befitting the learners and their parents and shall not be used as a political forum.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
(Sgd)LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES